Terms of Sale
If you order a book through our website we will email you to give you details of postage charges and how to pay.
If you have previously purchased a book from us then we offer a 10% discount off the book price for all orders placed through the website.
Postage is not included in the book price. Postage is charged at cost only and we will email you with a total price including postage. Every book sold is packed in a custom-made cardboard box after being wrapped in bubble wrap.
To give you an idea of postage costs, working on an average hardback weighing around 1Kg when packed then the following rates would apply:
- UK first class – £3.70
- UK second class – £3.10
If a book is sent signed for, then an additional £1.00 would be payable.
OUTSIDE OF THE UK – AIRMAIL
For international prices, these are based on a book weighing 1Kg. We charge postage at cost only so if your book is lighter than 1Kg, the postage will be less.
- Europe – £9.53
- World Zone 1: (which includes the USA, Canada, Africa …everywhere, in fact, apart from World Zone 2) – £14.490
- World Zone 2 (which covers Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and the Pacific Islands) – £15.28
If a signed for service is required then there is an additional charge of around £4.00 to be added to the above rates.
(Rates correct as at 23 March 2020)
Surface Mail (which can take up to 13 weeks (ie 3 months) to arrive and no signed for service available) but it is normally quicker than that – £9.51
Payments can be made by the following methods:
- UK customers – PayPal, cheque or postal order
- Non-UK customers – PayPal
We are unable to take credit cards direct but it is possible to pay using your credit card through PayPal even if you don’t have a PayPal account. We would just send you a PayPal invoice and you would pay it using your credit card.
We always describe our books as accurately and fairly as possible and will point out defects. We use the following definitions:
- New – (sometimes you will see this as mint rather than new) – as you would expect, a book that is unread.
- As New: The book is in the same immaculate condition as when it was published. This could be the description for a book that may have been stored for a while, never shelved, thumbed or even opened.
- Fine – A Fine book approaches the condition of As New, but without being crisp. The book may have been opened and read, but there are no defects to the book, jacket or pages.
- Very Good – Describes a book that shows signs of wear – we often use this for older books that are generally sound but may have tanned pages, perhaps creasing to the cover or the dust jacket shows some signs of wear. These will be identified in our description.
- Good – Describes the average well read book that has all pages present. May have page corners turned over as ‘bookmark’. Any defects will be pointed out in our description.
- Fair – Worn book that has had a hard life. A bit tatty!!
- Poor – Often described as a “reading copy only” if nothing else is available. Not one for the collectors. Read it then bin it!